Sleep is like the unicorn.....

I have been accused by many who know me that I could fall asleep standing up or at least within 5 to 10 minutes of sitting down.

Sadly, this is very true!

I have always taken sleep for granted because it has never been a problem for me.

For others, falling asleep can be a challenge and one that can create anxiety as the clock ticks ever so annoyingly nearby.

When you lack sleep, it is very easy to get caught up in worries about the future. Your mind races and doesn’t want to let go.

On a more serious note, studies have shown that lack of sleep can increase the risk for a variety of major illnesses. It can increase stress hormones and drive up blood pressure which can lead to heart attacks and strokes.

People who lack of sleep can develop problems regulating their blood sugar, which may put them at increased risk for diabetes.

So…..what can you do?

What can you do when you are lying wide awake in your bed listening to all the voices in your head?

You can get present in your thoughts. Being in the “now” can quiet those voices.

Try tapping before you go to bed so that your body can slow down and relax. Once you get into bed, you can continue to physically tap or if that in itself keeps you awake, you can mentally tap picturing the acupressure points in your mind.

If you are unfamiliar with the tapping process, please see the "introduction to tapping" link at the top of this page. It will provide you with everything you need to know!

Karate chop point:

"Even though I’m tired and want to sleep, I love and accept myself anyway”
"Even though I am filled with anxiety about ___, I choose to be calm, confident and relaxed ”
"Even though I'm scared that I won't get enough sleep, I choose to feel so relaxed and peaceful that it won't make any difference”

Round One:

EB: my eyes are wide open
SE: I can’t get to sleep
UE: My mind is racing
UN: So many voices in my head
CH: The clock is reminding me that I am running out of time
CB: I’m so afraid I won’t get enough sleep
UA: So tired
HD: So frustrated
WR: My body just won’t let go

** Now take a deep breath or two and proceed to the second round of tapping**

Round Two:

EB: I am all alone with my thoughts
SE: Thoughts that make me feel anxious and tense
UE: I am open to releasing some of this tension
UN: I don’t want to worry any more
CH: I know my thinking could be more productive after a good night’s sleep
CB: I choose to let my body know it is ok to relax
UA: It is ok to let my guard down for a little while
HD: It really is safe to go to sleep
WR: I forgive myself and anyone else that may have caused my insomnia

** Now take a deep breath or two and proceed to the third round of tapping**

Round Three:

EB: I may be worrying unnecessarily
SE: What if my biggest worries never happen
UE: I will have lost sleep for nothing
UN: I am willing to put those thoughts out of my mind for a minute or two
CH: I welcome a peaceful sleep
CB: I choose to be pleasantly drowsy
UA: I can feel my body relaxing and letting go
HD: I lovingly release this day and slip into a peaceful sleep
WR: Good night, sleep tight........"yawn"

Take another deep breath and remember that everything will be alright!

1 comment: